Did you know?
April 25 is Hairball Awareness Day. Here are some facts about hairballs you may not have known:
1. The scientific name for hairballs is trichobezoars. Trich is Greek for hair, and a bezoar is a mass found in the stomach or intestines.
2. It was once believed that hairballs cured everything from the plague to poisoning to epilepsy.
3. They were so revered in the Middle Ages that sometimes they were set in gold.
4. Hairballs aren’t really normal. Some cats are hairier than others and thus more prone, but no cat should only have about one or two hairballs a year.
5. It’s not only cats that get hairballs––cows and bunnies do too.