In my comic mystery Red Hot Liberty, Talisman (a.k.a. Tali) the Australian Shepherd—a romantic soul—is in the market for a boyfriend. Tali dons a neck scarf that declares she’s LOOKING FOR LOVE, starts a Facebook page to advertise for a honey, and plans a “Speed Dating for Dogs” event. She is a dog on a mission!
Since Tali’s Facebook campaign worked out so well for her, it occurred to me to ask my Facebook friends what kind of a personal ad their own furbabies might write to find romance. This is what they told me:
– Angie Clark’s Tonkinese cat, Marina, would write, “Looking for a sweet tom fluent in Tonkinese. Must love catnip and long naps.”
– Deb Harpur’s rat terrier Gigi’s ad: “Sweet and gentle glamour girl who has an athletic side seeking someone to romp on the beach with…naked (that means collar free). Love of cookies, killing plush toys, and skateboarding a plus!”
– Chloe Miller’s Australian Shepherd Prim would post: “Seeking STM (single tri-colored male) to spend days eating food out of the high chair, food dropped on the floor, food out of a bowl, and basically just dreaming of eating together. Also playing and snuggling…but mostly eating.”
– Sherri Johnson’s Aussie would post: “Black tri male looking for merle female with similar interests. Loves agility, obedience, working the woollies. Definitely a people dog and also likes other animals too! In excellent health and can provide either a lifetime of love or, for those looking for a romantic getaway, discretion is available.”
– Sherri Reaves Aussie’s ad: “Black tri male, husky build…looking for non-alpha type buddy to hang out with. Must love bones and not mind snoring!”
– Dawn Gray posts for a friend’s dog: “Red and white Pembroke Corgi seeking a lovely tri to herd butterflies with.”
– Tammy Crosby’s critters would run ads as follows:
Ginger Fatdog: “Like to hunt? Got cheese? Call me!”
Max the puppy: “Hihi!!!! I’m Max!!! I love love love love love EVERYTHING! I’ll love you too!!”
Chester the cat: “PUH-leeeeeze. Ya know yaaaa wannnnnna.”
– Janet Weyers’ Border Collie: “Speckled athletic BC tomboy seeks like-minded BC male for long runs on the beach, dock diving, hole digging, herding and agility, for friendship and possible long-term relationship. Willing to travel to meet.”
– Sunday Miles’ dog: “Good looking young athletic girl with multiple interests and a heart of gold. Loves dancing, walks in the woods, swimming, farm work, and good food. Seeks friendship…maybe more…of like-minded country lovin’ male.”
– And Courtney Huther’s Torch would simply post his sexy cowboy photo and brace himself for lots of lovin’!
What would your furbaby’s personal ad say?
Photo of Marina in Pearls courtesy of Angie Clark.
Torch the Sexy Cowboy courtesy of Courtney Huther.
Copyright © 2013 – Devin O’Branagan – All Rights Reserved
Devin O’Branagan is a bestselling author who writes novels about uncommon heroes. Her genres include young adult urban fantasy, paranormal thrillers, comic mysteries, and fiction about dogs and cats. She is a member of the Dog Writers Association of America, and many of her writing projects support animal rescue. Her books have been published by Simon & Schuster’s Pocket Books in English, Heyne Verlag in German, and Dogan Egmont in Turkish. All of her books are available in both print and eBook formats. Visit her website at DevinWrites.com.