A dangerous infection that affects dogs has been reported on Chicago’s north side. Chicago alderman Joe Moore issued an alert Monday night that says the fungus Blastomycosis can eventually cause blindness in dogs and even death. Veterinarians have confirmed two cases in the area.
“In one case, the dog contracted the fungal infection in the past several weeks, possibly at one of the Rogers Park beaches or lakefront parks. Because he was diagnosed incorrectly at first, proper treatment was delayed, causing permanent blindness in both eyes,” the statement reads.
Here are the symptoms to look for:
Ask your vet to check for Blastomycosis if you suspect your pet may have the condition.