TailsInc.com

Newsletter

What Your Dog’s Breed Says About You

June 6, 2012 by Laura Drucker in Newsletter with 39 Comments

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed in this piece are those of a survey we learned about and wanted to share. We encourage all people not to stereotype dog parents based on their dog, or dogs based on their breed.

Klooff is a new (and free!) iPhone app that lets you create profiles for your pets, share news and pictures about them with your friends and family, and even win cool products for uploading their photos. In honor of their recent launch, Klooff commissioned a survey that asked 1,000 men and women to talk about the assumptions they make about a potential romantic connection based on the breed of their dog.

Here’s what the survey-takers said:

Top Five Breeds That Make a Man More Attractive

1. German Shepard
  2. Golden Retriever
  3. Labrador Retriever
  4. Siberian Husky
  5. French Bulldog

Top Five Breeds That Make a Woman More Attractive

1. Golden Retriever
  2. Labrador Retriever
  3. Chihuahua
  4. Poodle
  5. Beagle

What People Think About Men & Dogs

• People were twice as likely to see a man who lives with a Boxer, a Bulldog or a Rottweiler as just a “hook up” than a man who lives with a Pit Bull or Labrador Retriever.
  • People are over 10 times more likely to see a man who lives with a Golden Retriever and 3 times more likely to see a man who lives with a German Shepherd as “marriage material” or “boyfriend material,” than a man who lives with a Pit Bull.
  • People are 10 times more likely to see a man who lives with a Pit Bull or a Rottweiler as “slimy” or “sketchy” than a man who lives with a Siberian Husky.
  • People are very likely to see a man who lives with a Labrador Retriever as a potential “great dad.”
  • People see male Siberian Husky parents as “more manly” than male parents of Bulldogs.

What People Think About Women & Dogs

• Respondents were more likely to see a woman who lives with a Golden Retriever as “girlfriend material” than a woman who lives with a Chihuahua.
  • More respondents thought that women who live with a Poodle are more likely to just be a “one night stand” than a woman who lives with any other breed.
  • Respondents are twice more likely to think that women who live with a Poodle or Chihuahua are more “high maintenance” than women who live with a Siberian Husky.
  • However, people think that women who live with Chihuahuas are more likely to be good looking than women who live with any other breed.

Of course, the results only represent the opinions of a small sampling of people, but they are definitely interesting! Having a dog is a great way to meet new people—for single pet parents it may just be the ticket to finding a mate. And when it comes to making a first impression, who knew that your dog’s breed could have such an effect?

What are some first impressions you’ve made about somebody based on the breed of their dog?

Want to try out Klooff out? Click here and download it for free!

Tagged , , , , ,

39 Comments

1. RachelJune 12, 2012 at 3:39 pmReply

You people obviously missed the whole point of this article. You need to take a DEEP breath, and calm down a bit. The authors are in no way attaching labels to certain owners or putting certain statistics on owners. They asked people about their opinion (KEYWORD: OPINION) on certain breed owners. While they’re not always correct they are just reporting certain people’s perceptions. Example: I own a Chihuahua and I am by no means high maintenence but I see many spoiled wealthy people who have Chihuahuas and treat them as just an accessory to their lavish lifestyle. They name them after designer handbags and dress them up like dolls, so yes, I can see why people think a chi owner would be MORE LIKELY (read it again) to be high maintenence. And as far as the Pitbull thing goes. I find it admirable that you people do so much work for the breed, but the majority of pit owners are NOT like you. Around where I live a typical owner is a person who has no means to life plans for the dog, lives in the city, is an irresponsible owner and buys it on a whim. I can not tell you how angry I get at all the people trying to get rid of their pits on Craigslist, most not even a year old, for the most ridiculous reasons. They bought the dog without thinking it through or realizing that an animal is a lifelong committment and as soon as its not a puppy anymore they ditch it. That to me is a slimy and sketchy person. I can see some points in this article but while they’re not always true, these are just people’s perceptions. Like the people in the article, I view Labs and Goldens as a family dog because thats what everybody had growing up, so a part of me subconciously might feel a man that owns a lab to be more family focused. Thats how the brain works. You need to not take this article so personally and keep the focus on good. Nobody is calling you slimy, no need to fly off the handle.

• CaitJune 14, 2012 at 5:20 pmReply

I wonder if you would also defend an article that made blatantly racist remarks? What about an article that said most people view redheads as scummy people? I’m not sure if you fully understand how HARD we work to clean up behind mindless articles like these. Maybe you would get it if you worked nearly as hard for the voiceless millions who die based on asinine and ignorant points of view, such as those OPINIONS stated above.

2. jsJune 11, 2012 at 8:18 pmReply

How dare you claim to advocate for shelter animals and post this article. Im sleazy? I’m married to a physician and im a small business owner. I work w rescues, donate hours, skills, and money to the local shelter. I saved 2 pit bulls lives and u just murdered god knows how many w this article. Who is sleazy again?

3. RachaelJune 10, 2012 at 8:02 amReply

Your information can not be proven as statistically significant in the way you have presented it. You say small sampling, did you just walk around the office and ask coworkers? If you don’t know how to read statistics don’t try to present something as being statistical. How about you provide something of value to readers.

4. BillJune 9, 2012 at 8:19 amReply

Well, it looks like your are now officially the new target of the pit bull owner’s terrorists group.

I thought this was a great article demonstrating people’s thought process of different breeds of dogs. Perception is not always reality, but the pit bull owners’ responses seem to indicate that, in this case, perception IS reality! LOL!

• CaitJune 14, 2012 at 5:24 pmReply

Interesting. Pit Bull terrorists. That’s funny. I guess if you grew up during times of slavery we would be “civil rights terrorists,” too. Any time a group stands up and tries to repair the ignorant ways of the masses, there are always people like you who want to make light of it. I guess this LOL truly is on us terrorists, because we fight tirelessly day after day to try and counteract these stereotypes while people like you turn around and make it a joke. Make an LOL out of the millions and millions of deaths, most of them loving dogs who deserved a better life.

5. beverlyJune 9, 2012 at 7:17 amReply

Please tell me they didn’t actually print this junk. Your assumptions are wrong and half of your statements don’t even make sense! Anyone knows that a “survey” with a small sample is not only unreliable, but most likely invalid.

6. ashleyJune 8, 2012 at 10:27 pmReply

Hmm me and my husband have a pitbull and a husky…..
    This article is offensive and should be removed. its complete garbage!!!!

7. Raven ReedJune 8, 2012 at 9:34 pmReply

I am a teacher and my husband is an engineer. We are hardly slimy and sketchy people. Our baby is a PIT BULL!

8. CarlyJune 8, 2012 at 7:56 pmReply

Whoever wrote this is “slimly”

This article is “sketchy!”

How dare you insult my choice of breed!

9. JasmineJune 8, 2012 at 7:55 pmReply

What a great way to encourage people to ditch their pit bulls and other bully breeds at the shelter and buy golden retrievers, which they will probably ditch at the shelter when they have kids, since they’re such great parents. Also regurgitating social stereotypes without tempering it with reality is a terrible thing to do. People wrongly think that bully breeds are only for drug dealers and “Sketchy” men. That’s not even remotely close to to the truth, but you thought it would make for a great article and just skipped over adding any truth to it. Bully breeds are already the most abandoned and abused breeds. Thank you very much for doing your part to make it worse.

10. Stacey ColemanJune 8, 2012 at 7:47 pmReply

Stacey Jacobs-Coleman
    On Wednesday afternoon I flew to Maryland to meet with several attorneys who are working tirelessly to help dog owners keep their homes and their pets. Then, Thursday morning, we all went to the State House to meet with several members of the State Legislature to discuss the recent Maryland Court of Appeals decision that is costing countless Maryland families to choose between their family dogs and their homes. From Annapolis, I dashed to an airport in D.C. so I could fly to Ohio and meet with the Ohio County Dog Wardens who just worked to overturn a state law that discriminated against dogs and their families. The OCDWA care about dogs and the people who love them. I am tired. I left my family behind to make the trip. I will be on the road again next week doing my level best to help dogs and families who are experiencing discrimination. The entire trip was necessary because of discrimination borne of fear-based hysteria and lazy generalizations about dogs and the people who care about them. It isn’t “silly”. Generalizations such as what you made changes canine and human lives in ways you apparently cannot understand. The article is not just insulting to dog owners it is also insulting to people experiencing genuine tragedy. And please do not try to hide behind the journalistic excuse of “we don’t make the news, we just report it”. You are an agenda based organization, no hiding that. Your disclaimer does not protect you from culpability. Do better next time.

• NoelleJune 10, 2012 at 8:11 amReply

Well said, Stacey! Thank you for all your hard work to help this misunderstood breed! I am the owner of one Staffordshire Terrier and one APBT (both rescue dogs) and they are members of our family. I am an educated individual with a Master’s Degree and am horrified about the treatment of the bully dogs. One state makes progress in their BSL and another adds BSL. Thank you for your work!!

11. MatinaJune 8, 2012 at 7:47 pmReply

The funniest part about this, if there is any humor to be found, is that the majority of people involved in pit bull rescue, pit bull advocacy etc are…females! This article is drivel, typical of the US media these days, full of steroetypes and juvenile humor at best. Obviously aimed at the shallow, materialistic segment of society who judge people on their appearance. No thanks, not interested.

12. KimkcbJune 8, 2012 at 6:56 pmReply

This artical is so off. I am a mother of 5 fur babies, chocolate lab, black tan hound, mastiff/ridge back mix, a rednose pit & a 5 pound chihuahua. I’m not high maintenance I change my own oil & brakes & anything else I possibly can. I take care of my 2 acres plus I have 2 kids.