Spring is “Kitten Season” which means that come June, shelters are overflowing with newborn kittens in need of loving families. If you’ve been thinking of adopting a new furry friend, there’s no better time than right now.
1. If you’re thinking about adopting a cat, consider taking home two.
2. Find a cat whose personality compliments yours.
3. Pick out a veterinarian ahead of time and schedule a visit within the first few days following the adoption.
4. Make sure everyone in the house is prepared to have a cat before it comes home.
5. Budget for the short- and long-term costs of a cat.
6. Stock up on supplies before the cat arrives.
7. Cat-proof your home.
8. Go slowly when introducing your cat to new friends and family.
9. Be sure to include your new pet in your family’s emergency plan.
10. If you’re considering giving a cat as a gift, make sure the recipient is an active participant in the adoption process.
Make this month extra special for you and a needy kitten—head to your local shelter and adopt! And, if you do adopt a new family member, tell us about them. We have lots of great kitty books and toys. You never know, one might come your way!