With wedding season upon us, more brides and grooms are planning to include their furry friends as guests of honor on their special day.
“A pet plays an important role in a couple’s life and for many pet parents, family festivities would not be complete without their pet’s involvement,” says John D’Ariano, president of the National Association of Professional Pet Sitters (NAPPS). “It’s becoming more common for couples to customize their wedding parties to include family, friends, and furry companions.”
If you are thinking about including your pet in your wedding celebration, here are some tips from NAPPS:
• Consider your pet’s behavior. Is he obedient and well behaved? Will your pet feel comfortable around your guests?
• Confirm with your ceremony facility that pets are welcome.
• Don’t jeopardize style for safety. If you plan to accessorize your four-legged flower girl with wedding attire, be sure it fits properly and does not create discomfort for your pet.
• Notify your photographer so she can capture your pet in action. You’ll want to remember the moment he walked down the aisle and “sat pretty” during the cake-cutting ceremony.
• After the ceremony, hire a professional pet sitter for the duration of the reception. This allows newlyweds the time and flexibility to socialize with their guests, without worrying about the needs and comfort of their pet.