The month of May has been designated by numerous animal welfare organizations as a time to highlight the need to provide food for homeless animals.
Looking for ways you can get involved? Get creative. Here are some ideas we’ve seen in our travels across animal welfare organization websites:
• Arrange a food drive challenge at schools, your office, churches, civic groups, your condo building or among your friends
• Set up donation bins at businesses, schools, your office, church, temple, a local grocery store
• Own a business? Offer discounts to people who bring food donations
• Offer discounts to sporting events in exchange for food donations
• Have perfectly good, unopened food your own animals don’t need or like anymore, a local shelter or rescue certainly knows a needy animal who isn’t particular
Most large cities have Pet Food Pantries (or human food pantries that also distribute pet food). Many can be found in TAILS Resources (under your local market, then animal groups and organizations). They are always grateful for food and supplies to distribute to needy animals.
If during the month of May we all pledge to do just a little bit more than usual – donate an extra can of food, drop off a dog blanket or tub of cat litter, drop $1 into a shelter or rescue donation jar at a local pet event – just imagine the huge difference we could make for all the deserving animals in need!
Are you planning to do anything special to help the homeless animals in May? Have any other great suggestions? If so, be sure to share it with the TAILS community here and on Facebook.