By Susan Beal
Creating a set of glass-topped magnets with photos of your favorite pets is super easy. The finished product looks so good, you will want to make a bunch. They make perfect presents!
What You’ll Need: (Items available at most craft stores, i.e. Michaels, Jo-Ann Fabric & Craft)
• Photos of your pet, slightly larger than your glass pieces
• Plain paper for backing (white or colored)
• Sharp scissors
• Clear glass marbles with flat backs
• Clear silicone glue (I prefer DAP brand)
• Flat, circular magnets (no bigger than the marbles)
How It’s Done:
1. Cut out each of your images—along with equal-sized pieces of plain paper—each a bit larger than the glass pieces you’ll be covering them with (I like to cut rough squares for simplicity). For each magnet, you’ll need one image and one piece of plain paper to use as a backing.
2. Place a glass flat-backed marble over your image. When you are happy with the placement, place a generous dab of glue on the flat back and press it onto the image, highlighting the area you want to show.
3. Now glue a layer of plain paper onto the back of the image to prevent the dark magnet from showing through.
4. Let the glue dry until it’s set.
5. Carefully cut around the edges of the paper—following the line of the glass—until all the excess is cut away.
6. Now pick up the flat-backed marble, add another dab of glue to your paper backing, and press the magnet on, holding it tight for a few seconds.
7. Let the magnets dry completely on a flat surface before moving them.
8. Stick your adorable dog and cat magnets to your refrigerator, or any other magnetic surface, and enjoy!
For more projects from Susan Beal, please visit SusanStars.Etsy.com.