Veterinarians and pet stores on the North Side of Chicago are sending out an urgent message to local pet parents: there is someone putting squirrel poison where dogs can get it and it’s already killing area dogs.
The squirrel poison looks very similar to rat poison but has a different color. Instead of the blue/green color of mouse and rat poison, the squirrel poison is a reddish pink color–almost the same shade as raw hamburger meat. The reason that the squirrel poison is more of a threat than rat/mouse poison is that there is more food product in the squirrel poison–making it much more appealing to unsuspecting dogs.
People out walking their dogs are potentially exposing their dogs to this deadly danger and don’t even know it. With someone putting the poison within easily accessible areas for dogs, they are killing much more than squirrels. Pet store owners say that they know of at least three dogs being killed by the poison on the north side over the last month and one pet parent’s dog that got ahold of the poison had to be euthanized last week.
The poison works by preventing your pet’s blood from clotting with 36 to 72 hours–essentially causing them to bleed out internally. Symptoms of poisoning include coughing up blood, fever or loss of consciousness. If your pet is exhibiting any of these symptoms please contact an emergency veterinarian service immediately.
Pet parents, vets and store owners are using Facebook and other social media sites to spread the word. TAILS asks that anyone living in these neighborhoods or anyone that knows pet parents living in the area please share this story to help dogs in the area stay healthy.