Planning Your Pet’s Holiday Agenda
The holidays are here and many families are excitedly making plans to come together and celebrate. In the hustle and bustle of the season it is easy to neglect planning appropriately for your pet as well. Planning ahead will save you and your pets from both headaches and heartaches. The following tips have been provided by the Humane Society of the United States to help plan ahead.
If your pet is celebrating with the family at home:
- Pets are all unique – plan accordingly. Pets that are shy and stressed by partygoers may need some extra TLC and a quiet out of the way spot to rest and relax. Others, however, may enjoy the chance to socialize; just make guests aware of your pets and the rules of the house regarding the pet.
- Avoid treating your pets to table scraps. Keep in mind bones can splinter very easily and cause a great deal of serious health problems. Better to be safe than sorry.
If your pet will be traveling with the family to celebrate the holidays:
- Make sure your destination is pet friendly in advance and your pets will be welcomed. It may be necessary to make arrangements to board your pet or hire a reputable pet sitter.
- When traveling make sure to attach their identification tags with all pertinent information such as home and cell numbers as well as the location you are staying just to be on the safe side.
Lastly, if you are leaving on vacation without your pet:
- Hire a pet sitter ONLY after asking for references as well as written proof that he or she is bonded and has valid commercial liability insurance.
- If your pet will be staying at a boarding kennel, please make sure you visit the kennel beforehand and make sure it is clean, comfortable, and safe. Ask questions.
Tagged Holidays, Pet Safety, pet travel