If You Are Planning a Trip Abroad With Your Pet…

June 1, 2011 by Tails Magazine in Home, Travel with 0 Comments

First things first, each country has in place the option of quarantines or other health requirements, before you book your ticket be sue to check with a full-service travel agency or pet travel service to be sure Fido is welcome.

Traveling to the European Union:

All dogs and cats will be subject to regulations. Besides an anti-rabies vaccinations certificate, all dogs and cats must have an implanted microchip or clearly readable tattoo. Pets not meeting these requirements will not be permitted entry.

Pets are not accepted in the cabin or as checked baggage to the United Kingdom.

Travel to Hawaii

United Airlines does not allow pets in the cabin to Hawaii except certified guide dogs.

A 120-day quarantine period for dogs and cats will be imposed in Honolulu unless prior clearance arrangements have been made though the Hawaiian Department of Agriculture.

Animals are permitted to travel directly to Honolulu or to the outer islands of Hawaii (Kona), Kauai (Lihue) and Maui (Kahului), if they are in possession of an approved “Neighbor Island Inspection Permit”.

To arrange pet entry into Hawaii, it is the responsibility of the customer to contact the Hawaii Department of Agriculture (808-483-7151) for all specific details.


Special Requirements:

All animals MUST have more kennel ventilation for international flights than is required by the USDA for domestic flights.

Labeling and a shipper’s certificate are also international conventions.



Carry a leash with you so you can walk your pet before you check in and after you arrive at your destination. Do not put the leash with the animal, either inside or attached to the outside of the kennel.

Do not take your pet out of its kennel inside the airport. Let your pet out only after you leave the terminal building.

Mark the kennel with your pet’s name.

Mark the kennel with the telephone number of a person at the destination who can be contacted about your pet.

If your pet is traveling unaccompanied, remember that after the arrival at the destination there is a processing period for cargo, which may vary by airline and airport.

If you would like your pet to have water during travel, you may want to freeze the water in the pet’s dish before you leave.

Rabies Inoculation:

Most countries require a recent rabies shot within one year of passage.

Always keep a current rabies inoculation tag on your dog’s harness or collar and keep the documents safe with you while traveling.

Health Certificate:

Technically, countries require you to carry a health certificate from your vet done within 10 days of travel.


The Pet Passport, introduced in the UK by the Pet Travel Scheme (PETS), to ensure easy passage of pets into the UK. The passport is associated with information on microchipping and other inoculation and health documentation and spares pets going into the UK from having to undergo quarantine.

Tagged ,

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *



Supporting Rescue $ Adoption since 2000

Email Newsletter icon, E-mail Newsletter icon, Email List icon, E-mail List icon Sign up for our Email Newsletter

horizontal divider horizonal divider

Explore the Community
Check out local eventsAdd your resourceFind a dog parkPets and the militaryPurchase an adList your event for FREEConnect with FriendsBusinesses Giving BackFind a breed rescue groupPurchase a subscription
Skip to toolbar