Do It Yourself – Pooch’s Petite Power Bars
When hitting the road with your four-legged best friend, it is always a good idea to pack treats to encourage good behavior. Healthy and yummy snacks will also keep your favorite pooch happy, which in turn can help to eliminate the stress of traveling.
And while we know you may be busy with packing and tying up loose ends for your trip, these delicious bars will show your furry friend how much you love her, and will only take you 30 minutes to create! If you want to be super prepared, you can make them in advance and store in the freezer.
- 1 1/4 cups of oat flour
- 1 1/4 cups of brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup of honey/oat granola, with no raisins or nuts
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup of molasses
- 2/3 cup of water
Let’s Get Cookin’:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine all ingredients together and mix thoroughly.
- Wet your hands, grab a dab of dough, and roll it into a small ball (about an inch and a half in diameter.)
- Roll the ball again, this time lengthwise, until you have a little tube shape.
- Press the tube down flat on an ungreased cookie sheet. (If your dog prefers other shapes, go for it!) Continue until all dough is used, about an inch apart.
- They won’t spread out much when cooking.
- Bake about 20-22 minutes or until the edges are golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let stand on a wire rack until cool.
- Share with your pooch, only after she’s performed a trick, of course!
Store in an airtight container or plastic storage bag for easy travel. And the best part is, if you are stranded somewhere without food, you can share your dog’s treats!
Tagged June 2011, Recipes, Travel